If you are a folower on Insagram, then you have seen the lastest trend floating around. It's called #CosplayAsthetic. Take a couple of photos of your cosplay and you add a couple of photos that match the character of theme of that cosplay. A few of my friends did it and they all looked amazing. They inspired me to create a few of my characters.

About two weeks ago I was invited to a Villans themed birthday party. I was super excited for this because being a villain for a couple of hours is super fun. So I started to think of who I wanted to be. I could always fall back on a couple of costumes that I have in my closet. I had Yzma and a pirate costume, but nothing really spoke to me. I've always wanted to be Hades from Hercules. 

So being the crazy person I am, I decided to make Hades in three days. Yes, that is right. Three days. Not even days, but three nights due to my normal everyday job. But I did it. Wig and all. 

It all started with what I have in my closet. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a costume I knew I was only going to wear for a couple of hours. Thankfully I had a black maxi dress in my closet as well as a pair of strap be sandals. Step one complete. 

Next I went to Amazon and found  A dark blue and light blue wig for $10 each.  decided to take some wig fibers from the light blue wig and so them into the dark blue wig to create the flaming effect. After three hours of trying to style the wig, I gave up trying to make it stand up like in this photo. I decided on doing a simple French twist with some hair flowing down. 

Next I took an old leather skirt that didn't fit anymore and reinvented it to a toga. It was already cut into a circle skirt and flowed nicely. The only thing I had to do to it was add a little tuck to the front to get the folds right. 

Since I wanted to wear my black maxi dress again after the party, I had to come up with a easy solution to make Hades sleeves. What I did was take old black ribbon and some old blue fabric and cut into triangles. I glued the triangles to the ribbon and the safety pin the ribbon to my dress. This was super fast and easy which is great since I was running out of time to work on the dress. 

Last thing to complete my look was to make myself blue. In the past I have tried to put myself purple and various other colors with different body paint it will on the market. This time around I want to go cheap and easy so what I did was fine bright blue eyeshadow that came in a rich pigment. Then all I did was repeat myself in a blue eyeshadow. I used black to create some contours on my face. Next time I think I would buy two shades of blue to give myself more depth. But by using this method I was able to create a great effect on my skin that lasted thought the party. And it only cost me 5$ for the eye shadow. 

Sadly I was running late and was not able to take full body pictures of myself. So enjoy these photos of me and my friends at the party. I hope to take a full photo shoot with Hades and work on it to make this a full cosplay for me . I hope to face my fear and get yellow contacts for this costume. Maybe next time. :)

Total cost of the costume:
Dress: in closet
Shoes: in closet 
Eyeshadow/body paint :$5
Costume detail: supplies on hand, but roughly cost $10
Total: $35

You know when you're watching a TV show and you fall in love with characters outfit. So you spend the next couple of days trying to find that outfit. After hours and hours searching for this outfit you come to the conclusion that does not exist and costumers made them selves.

This happened to me recently when I was watching pretty little liars with the flashback episode. I fell love with Spencer's 1940s dress she wore. I looked high and low for any sort of pattern to create this outfit. But all I was able to find us a photo of this pattern

This meant I had to create my very own pattern. I have never been strong and drafting patterns but I wanted to challenge myself to create this look. 

The first step I did was to take a pattern of the shirt that I knew I can alter easily from there draped fabric on my dress form to make the silhouette that I wanted. A few nips and hems later (as well as a few hair pulling) I had a finished product. 

When I remake this dress robe, I plan on making a few alterations to the patterns. I'd probably make the top of the sleeves less poofy and the bottom more poofy. I'm not in love with the waist, so I would probably revisit that. 

It has been a great learning experience for me. And with all new things, it takes practice and patience to master. I look forward to remaking this. 

So lately I've been in a kind of funk. Those times when you really want to do something creative but can't seem to get the idea from your head to your fingers. That has been me since the last convention in November. But I am not going to stop trying to create. As an artist, I need that outlet or else I will go insane. I'm sure you all know about this. 

What I have been working on lately is just a Robson cosplay that I may wear for CTCON this year. I say may because there are so may costumes that I would love to make, and not enough days to wear it. If you are a streaming geek and love D&D (dungeons and dragons), then you know about this awesome stream called Critical Role on Geek and Sundrys twitch channel. It's basically a bunch of awesome voice actors playing D&D. I love it and love the characters these people created. So I decided to try my had at making on of them. 

Her name is Keyleth, and she is the Druid in the group. She has awesome polymorph and elemental abilities. Here is what she looks like: 

Art by Kit Bus (@AnemoneTea )

I would love to do the whole crew one day. But I thought I would start small. Seeing as how I have never made armor before. I shall keep you all posted on the success of failure of my armor making attempts.